Monday, July 26, 2010

Good Instruction is Important

Scripture:

II Kings 12:2 "All his life Joash did what was pleasing in the Lord's sight because Jehoiada the priest instructed him".

Observation:

Joash was seven years old when he became king. He had been hidden in the Lord's Temple and was alive when the next king was needed. He reigned forty good years in Jerusalem. He was considered a king who did good and followed the Lord. Though he was king, Joash's strength came from the instruction of Jehoiada the priest. As he followed the priest and learned from his instruction, he was blessed in leading the nation.

Application:

Society today has developed in our hearts a mistrust of people. We don't trust leaders. We don't trust pastors, priests, or anyone else except ourselves. It is good to put your trust in the Lord, but God also uses teachers, pastors, priests, etc. in our lives to instruct us biblically. Joash was blessed because he listened to the instruction of a priest. Though we shouldn't blindly follow anyone, we would do well to begin to listen to others who may be more experienced in certain areas than us.

Prayer:

Lord, I want to be taught and to have a spiritual mentor in my life. I thank you for Pastor Garcia who has taught me so much of your word and how to deal with situations. Help me to show him my appreciation more today and to re-establish a mentoring relationship with him. Place in my life others who I can trust to instruct me in life.

Thanks,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment