Wednesday, March 3, 2010

What are you withholding?

Scripture:

Genesis 22:12 "'Don't lay a hand on the boy!' the angel said. 'Do not hurt him in any way, for now I know that you truly fear God. You have not withheld from me even your son, your only son'".

Observation:

Abraham had walked with God for a long time. He hadn't lived a perfect life, but he did try to do all God wanted him to. When God spoke, Abraham moved! In this instance God had told Abraham to go and offer his son, his only son Isaac as a burnt sacrifice. At the last second, while Abraham was ready to kill his son, an angel stops him and says the above referenced verse. It says that he knows that Abraham fears God because of what he did not withhold from God.

Application:

Sometimes what we won't give says more about us and our relationship to God than what we will give. Sometimes it is what we withhold from God that tells about our heart and whether we fear and honor God completely. What are the areas of your life that you have told God are off limits? What are the areas of your life that God knows you wouldn't give up for Him or to follow His call on your life? Is it security, health, family, finances? God tested Abraham to see whether he would withhold his only son and the son of promise from the Lord if he asked for him. I believe God tests those He loves to see if we are willing to follow Him completely.

Prayer:

Lord, let there be nothing in my life that I would withhold from You. I surrender all to You my Lord and my King. This is the desire of my heart, but I also know that words come cheap. In the time of testing, let me prove reliable and faithful. May I be someone You can trust who will hold nothing back from my God.

I love you Lord,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment