Thursday, March 18, 2010

Don't Wear Out

Scripture:

Exodus 18:18 "You're going to wear yourself out - and the people too. This job is too heavy a burden for you to handle all by yourself".

Observation:

Moses' father-in-law Jethro had just come for a visit and was proud of all Moses had accomplished. He was proud that they escaped the hands of the powerful Egyptian army, but saw Moses listening to the complaints of people from morning to evening every day. He was settling all disputes for a huge number of people. Jethro tells Moses, "You're going to wear yourself out - and the people too". He tells Moses that he should appoint reliable leaders to work with smaller numbers so that he will only hear the major cases.

Application:

It is better to delegate than to wear out. Just like Moses, we tend to take on more than we are capable of handling. We try hard, but only wear ourselves out. God doesn't expect us to do everything, He expects us to be wise and get the job done using all the gifts and abilities of those around us. Usually the job God gives you to do is bigger than you and you will need help to do it. He doesn't expect you to do it on your own. He expects you to find people who will help you achieve the goal He has given you.

Prayer:

Lord, teach me to raise up others to get the work done. Many times I have tried to release authority to others and it has come back to bite me. It seems every time I try, it falls back in my lap. I know right now I am to delegate some things. Help me to do what You have put in my heart. Help me to listen closer to You and to do what You say every day. Show me who is faithful and able. Let your people use their gifts and let our church grow into a healthy place that is impacting eternity for multitudes.
I Love You Lord,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment