Thursday, March 4, 2010

Somebody's Watching

Scripture:

Genesis 26:7 "When the men who lived there asked Isaac about his wife, Rebekah, he said, 'She is my sister.' He was afraid to say, 'She is my wife.' He thought, 'They will kill me to get her, because she is so beautiful'".

Observation:

My first observation is that Isaac is repeating the exact same mistakes his father had made. It is almost word for word description of what his father did. What Isaac saw his father do, he did! Secondly, there was a fear that went through their generations. What a father fears, his sons will fear. They were afraid of losing their beautiful wives.

Application:

What we don't deal with, will be passed on to the next generation. Abraham blew it in this exact same area. They both told lies about their wives trying to protect themselves. Abraham did it twice and here we see Isaac doing it. This was all done out of fear. Fear is the root of many wrong actions. Fear of what people think and what people will do controls many people. Instead of doing what we are suppose to do, fear causes us to do things that we know are wrong. Fear and faith are opposites. The more faith you have in God, the less you will struggle with fear.

Prayer:

Lord, let my life please You and bring You honor. I don't want my sons to live with the same fears and mistakes I make. Teach me to live the life of a conqueror, that my boys may live the same. Teach me to overcome that my boys may see an overcomer in action and live that way all their lives. Help me to be an example to my children of a godly man who is not afraid of anything.

Love,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment