Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Distinguishing between sacred and common

Scripture:

Leviticus 10:10 "You must distinguish between what is sacred and what is common, between what is ceremonially unclean and what is clean".

Observation:

Nadab and Abihu, Aaron's sons had just been struck dead for offering strange fire on God's altar. They had done it themselves and therefore it was not holy unto the Lord. God pulls Aaron's other relatives together and consecrates them as priests and tells them they must live for Him alone. He tells them that they must distinguish between what is sacred and what is common. As priests they were not to touch the common, but should concentrate on the sacred.

Application:

Though today we are not priests like the priests of the OT, we also should distinguish between what is sacred and what is common. As a kingdom of priests, we believers should focus on the eternal, the sacred, the holy and God's will. We cannot live like everyone else! We are different from the rest of the world. The world concentrates on the common, we on the sacred. Their number one priority is self-advancement, our number one priority is God's Kingdom advancement. We must do the common, yet remain focused on the eternal and the sacred.

Prayer:

Lord, keep my life in focus. Help me not get distracted by the common. Teach me to live a life of sacred devotion to You and you alone. Help me to see clearly the difference between sacred and common and to live for the sacred. I want my life to be completely Yours. You are my God, my Rock and my Fortress. You are my deliverer and my strength. Help me focus on the sacred and do it with all my heart. As a pastor, teach me to focus on the sacred and let others do the common.

Love,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment