Sunday, April 12, 2009

Persevering in your Calling

Scripture:

Acts 20:24 “But my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus – the work of telling others the Good News about the wonderful grace of God”.

Observation:

Paul was finishing his third missionary journey and felt in his spirit he must go to Jerusalem. He knows that at Jerusalem he is going to face terrible situations possibly costing him his life. He has now spent much time, seen many riots, had many near death experiences, all for following Jesus and fulfilling His will. Here Paul says, near the end of all this, his life is nothing unless he finished what Jesus has for him to do.

Application:

Paul is a great example of someone who laid down their life for the Gospel. He faced incredible persecutions, yet continued without hesitation. Jesus had given him an assignment it says in this verse, and he could not be satisfied until his assignment was accomplished. Just before this he says he is “bound by the Spirit”. Paul had no other choice but to follow Christ to the end. Sometimes we make ministry seem like it is a choice we can take or not take. We can take it or leave it. Paul seemed to have a different attitude in that he didn’t have a choice. Maybe we should look at our calling more like Paul did.

Prayer:

Wow Lord, Paul was truly Your determined vessel. I want to be more like that. He would not stop until he finished Your assignment. I want to follow You to the ends of the earth. Give me the determination of Paul and let me hear the words I long to hear. Well done thou good and faithful servant.

Your Son,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment