Friday, April 17, 2009

God's Promises Never Fail

Scripture:

Joshua 14:10-11 "Now, as you can see, the Lord has kept me alive and well as he promised for all these forty-five years since Moses made this promise - even while Israel wandered in the wilderness. Today I am eighty five years old. I am as strong now as I was when Moses sent me on that journey, and I can still travel and fight as well as I could then."

Observation:

Caleb was one of the spies who went in to spy out the land and came back with a good report. He and Joshua believed they could go in immediately and take the land, but the other 10 spies felt the people could not be defeated. Forty five years later, his promise comes to pass. God has preserved him so that he could still, at 85 years old, enjoy the promise. The other interesting thing here is that at 85 he is given one of the pieces of land with giants still living there that he has to fight.

Application:

Sometimes we give up on the promises of God far too quickly. Caleb was a man of great faith who was still looking for his promise to come to pass 45 years later. When God promises us something and we don't see results immediately, we get frustrated and think we must have missed God's voice or done something wrong. Patience is something we must develop in our lives because God doesn't seem to be on our timetable, we must learn to be on His. God will preserve you so you can still enjoy the promise when you finally get it. WOW! At 85 Caleb was ready to take on giants. Don't give up too soon on what God has called you to do. Also think about this, people messed up God's promise, but God still came through. People have a free will and they can cause delays in God's blessing, but they can't stop what God has promised forever. If God said it, it will come to pass.

Prayer:

Lord, teach me to be patient in Your calling. There are so many things that I get frustrated with because they are not happening fast enough. Help me to understand Your timetable and get off my own. Teach me to walk with You, trust You and live according to Your ways. You are my God and I want to finish the course You have laid out for me. 45 years seems so long, but teach me to be faithful to the calling, no matter what a few years brings.

I love you Lord,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment