Friday, June 22, 2012

Staying in His Presence

Scripture:

Luke 2:37 "Then she lived as a widow to the age of 84.  She never left the Temple but stayed there day and night, worshiping God with fasting and prayer".

Observation:

This description is of Anna, a prophet who was in the Temple when Jesus was dedicated.  She knew immediately that this was the Messiah that everyone had been waiting so long for.  She was in tune with the Holy Spirit.  When she was young, she was married to a man that died after only 7 years of marriage, from that point, she never left the Temple.  From about the age of 25 to 84 she stayed in the Temple fasting, praying, and listening to the voice of God.

Application:

This woman inspires me because she stayed in the Temple close to 60 years day and night in prayer and fasting.  She had one pursuit in life, knowing God and serving Him.  No wonder she is one of the few people mentioned at the time of Jesus birth and dedication.  The more time you spend in the presence of God, the more clearly you hear His voice.  She was at the right place at the right time because she had been in the presence of the Lord.  Today we can't live in the Temple, but the veil has been torn and we can live in His presence 24/7 by placing our focus on Him wherever we are.

Prayer:

Father, help me to walk closer to You.  Help me remain in prayer and fasting that I may know You more each day.  I want to stay in Your presence when doing odd jobs, driving a bus, disciplining my children, cleaning the house, etc. etc. etc.  I want to learn to be ever aware of Your awesome presence.  Anna lived in the Temple for 60 years, I am the Temple of the living God, help me to be more aware of that fact and let me carry Your glory in my everyday life.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment