Thursday, March 22, 2012

Fire in My Bones

Scripture:

Jeremiah 20:9 "But if I say I'll never mention the Lord or speak in His name, His word burns in my heart like a fire. It's like a fire in my bones! I am worn out trying to hold it in! I can't do it!"

Observation:

Jeremiah, at this point, had prophesied so much judgment and destruction on Israel that he had lost all his friends, people made fun of him, and he felt very alone. He wished he had never been born. He wished God had used someone else to deliver these strong warnings. In his place of discouragement and wanting to quit, he says that God's words were like fire shut up in his bones. He tried to hold it in, but he couldn't hold back what God was wanting to say. He said, "I can't do it!".

Application:

We need more men and women who have God's word in them like fire shut up in their bones. I know many times I have had people tell me, "you don't have to yell", or "why do you talk so fast and get so emotional?" Many times I have wrestled with God ans told him I want to calm down and deliver a calmer, more acceptable message. Then I stand up to preach and it is like a fire shut up in my bones that I can't hold back. I want to remain calm and under control, but His words flow out of me with passion and fire. I wrestle with this because I want people to be able to accept what I have to say and I want it in a manner that will work for them, yet when I stand to preach it's like rivers of living water begin to flow and I can't hold them back. I'm tired of this battle between my brain and my spirit. I'm gonna let the river flow.

Prayer:

Lord, thank you for placing this verse in your word. I understand Jeremiah. This morning I say to You that I will let the river flow from within me and not be as concerned about what people think. I will let Your river flow through my life and will speak what You want, when you want it, and how you want it. Flow, river, flow! I'm not holding back any more.

Your Son,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment