Thursday, February 11, 2016

The Forerunner's Message

Scripture:

Mark 1:7-8  "And this was his message, 'after me comes the one more powerful than I, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie.  I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit'".

Observation:

When John the baptist describes what Jesus was coming to do, he describes Jesus as one who is more powerful than him.  He also says that he is not worthy to stoop down and untie Jesus' sandals.  Then he says that He would baptize them with the Holy Spirit.  As Jesus was being introduced to the world, He was introduced as one who would baptize with the Holy Spirit.  This was one of the main features of his resume.

Application:

When we think of Jesus and try to describe Him, we usually thank about his "seeking and saving the lot" or a number of other things like being a servant, but seldom do we think of one of His primary roles being that He would baptize us with the Holy Spirit.  We need to see this as one of the main reason Jesus came, then we would emphasize it more.  We need to seek Jesus for the baptism of the Holy Spirit and power.

Prayer:

Father, help me as a pastor to emphasize what You emphasize.  Help me to represent You well and help me to describe Jesus accurately.  Show me truth and let me communicate it properly.  Jesus, baptize me completely and fully with the Holy Spirit.  May He rest on my life and may I be led, controlled and filled by Him.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment