Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Priests: Able Men

Scripture:

I Chronicles 9:13  "The priests, who were heads of families, numbered 1,760.  They were able men, responsible for ministering in the house of God".

Observation:

As Chronicles is giving a long list of genealogies, it sticks in this little comment on the priests.  It says "They were able men, responsible for ministering in the house of God".  "Able" would mean they were prepared, ready, well-trained, etc.  They had to be born in the right family, but they also had to be able men who could handle their responsibilities.  They were responsible for ministering in the house of the Lord.

Application:

Sometimes people feel "called" into ministry and jump in, plant a church, and then struggle for a long time.  They have the right heart, the right passion, the right prayer life, etc., but maybe were not able or responsible.  Able comes from the same root as ability.  Sometimes we have to develop our abilities so that we are able.  God gives the passion, heart, desire, etc., but we have to develop the abilities and strengthen them and be responsible for them.

Prayer:

Lord, teach me to be a better leader.  Help me develop the skills necessary to lead Your people better.  Help me carry my responsibilities well.  Help me hone my leadership skills to become more effective for your kingdom.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment