Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Loving God Above All

Scripture:

John 12:43 "for they loved human praise more than praise from God".

Observation:

This comment is made about many of the leaders of the Synagogue in Jesus day.  Just before this verse it says that many of the them believed in Christ, but because of their fear of the Pharisees, they wouldn't acknowledge their faith publicly.  These leaders loved human praise more than praise from God.  They wanted to impress the Pharisees more than they wanted to impress God.

Application:

How many times do we shy back from doing something God has put in our hearts because we are afraid of what other people will think?  How many times have I backed down from something I really believed in because of the opinions of people?  God wants us to love Him above all else.  He wants us to honor Him at all times and to listen to His voice, when others are with us and when they are not.  We must be more concerned about the praise of God than the praise of man.

Prayer:

Father, help me be more bold for You.  Help me fulfill all You have called me to do.  I want to fear You more than man and I want Your praise more than man's praise.  I like people to like me and have been influenced by the opinions of man at times for that reason.  Give me strength to live for Your praise, even when that makes others dislike me.

Your Son.
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment