Monday, April 7, 2014

Remove the Devoted Things

Scripture:

Joshua 7:13b "There are devoted things among you, Israel.  You cannot stand against your enemies until you remove them".

Observation:

Joshua had just led the people of Israel across the Jordan River and into the Promised Land.  They had an incredible victory at Jericho and then were defeated by a small group at Ai.  When they were defeated, they cried out to God and asked why they were defeated when He was their God.  He answered with the verse above.  Achan had taken some of the plunder, when God had told them not to.  He hid it in his tent.  The result... defeat.

Application:

We cannot stand against our enemies when we are disobedient to the Lord.  We can't expect God's protection when we are breaking His commands.  We cannot stand against an enemy when we have stuff in our lives that God doesn't want there.  Achan's disobedience affected the entire nation of Israel.  Likewise, our disobedience affects those around us.

Prayer:

Lord  God Almighty, help me to serve You well and do all You ask me to do.  I don't want the enemy to be able to have any victory in my life.  Forgive me for times I haven't obeyed completely all You have asked me to do.  You are amazing and you deserve my undivided attention.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment