Friday, March 28, 2014

The Fear of God

Scripture:

Deuteronomy 32:41  "When I sharpen my flashing sword and my hand grasps it in judgment' I will take vengeance on my adversaries and repay those who hate me".

Observation:

Moses is singing a song here that the Lord gave him before he was going to pass away.  In the song, he has this verse that speaks about the judgment of God.  God says through Moses that He will take vengeance one day on all His enemies and those who hate Him.  He says He will take His flashing sword in judgment one day.  God is not only the loving God we talk about today, but He is also a God who will one day judge the living and the dead.  He is holy and to be feared.

Application:

Sometimes today we focus so much on the love of God, which is accurate, that we lose sight of the fear of God.  He is definitely to be feared.  When I read through the Old Testament, I see the anger of the Lord and His righteous judgment and think, is this the loving God we preach about?  The answer is yes.  He is loving and full of grace and mercy, but He is also holy and will one day stand in judgment.  He is to be feared.  We should fear Him who has the power to throw us into hell's fire.

Prayer:

Lord God Almighty, teach us to see You correctly.  Help us see you in Your awesomeness.  Help us to see You as the one who loves us, but also the one who is holy and righteous and who wants no other gods before Him.  Help me to see You as You are.

Yours,
Jeff


No comments:

Post a Comment