Friday, September 16, 2011

No Fear of God

Scripture:

II Samuel 1:14 "So David said to him, 'How was it you were not afraid to put forth your hand to destroy the Lord's anointed?'"

Observation:

David had just been told of Saul's death by the person who killed him. Saul asked the man to kill him and he did so. Saul had been chasing David for quite a long time trying to kill him, but David refused to fight back because he understood that God places people in positions of authority. He had a healthy fear of God that said, "if God put that person in that position, who am I to try to remove them?" David immediately had the man put to death because he did not fear killing the Lord's anointed.

Application:

It seems today that there is no fear of God or no trust in God. If we fear God, we will trust that He knows what He is doing and that He placed us under the authority He wanted us under. I don't believe in blind submission when someone is messing up, but I also think we are far too quick to judge God's servants and accuse them. A healthy fear of God must come back to the church.

Prayer:

Father, I have seen this verse abused in the past. I have seen this verse misused, but I want to fully understand it. I love David's fear of God and, though anointed king, how he wouldn't put forth his hand against Your anointed even when your anointed was doing wrong and trying to kill him. I want to trust You at that level. Treating people right, even when they are trying to destroy you. Help me be more like David and more like You.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment