Monday, February 8, 2021

God’s Self-Description

 Scripture:

“And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, “The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.””  ‭‭Exodus‬ ‭34:6-7‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Observation:

In this passage, Moses meets with God and God introduces Himself to Moses.  The passage above is how God describes himself.  We should see Him as He sees Himself; compassionate, gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin.  He also says He doesn’t let the guilty go unpunished, but punishes them to the third and fourth generation.  God is loving and compassionate, but He hates sin and rebellion.

Application:

We should make sure our perception of the Lord is the same as His self-perception.  He is the best one to describe His character and values.  I need to make sure I see the Lord in this same way so my perception is not based on feelings, or what’s going on around me, but on WHO HE IS.  When we don’t understand what’s going on around us, we must trust WHO He is according to His own words and not our feelings.

Prayer:

Father, let me know You more and more each day.  Help me to see You as You are and not as I feel You are.  Help me to present You to others well and to accurately divide the word of truth.  Teach me to represent You well and to communicate on Your behalf.  You are amazing and I love You with all my heart.  Go before me and prepare the way for my upcoming trip to Pakistan.

Your Son,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment