Thursday, February 11, 2021

Eating with Sinners

 Scripture:

“When the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the sinners and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?” On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.””  ‭‭Mark‬ ‭2:16-17‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Observation:

Jesus ate with tax collectors and sinners.  He hung around people most religious people would not want to be around.  The religious Jewish leaders asked Jesus disciples why He was eating with sinners.  Jesus overheard them and replied that the healthy don’t need a doctor, but the sick.  He said He didn’t come to call the righteous, but sinners.  Jesus hung around bad people because bad people needed Him.

Application:

It is hard as a pastor today to have ungodly friends.  We are so busy attending to the flock that we have no time, nor interest, in being with ungodly people.  Jesus did the opposite.  He didn’t mind being around the bad people of society.  He felt they needed a doctor and He was just what the doctor ordered.  Maybe we need to re-think who we spend our time with.  Maybe we need to at least carve out some time in our busy schedules to spend time with some non-churched people.

Prayer:

Father, help me to see things the way You see them.  Help me to see people how You see them.  Teach me to love the ungodly and actually spend some of my time with them.  Help me to live a life that would cause the unsaved to love being around me.  Help me be a doctor for those who need You the most.  Teach me Your ways.

Your Son,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment