Saturday, January 11, 2020

Prevailing the Struggle

Scripture:

“And He said, “Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel; for you have struggled with God and with men, and have prevailed.””
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭32:28‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Observation:

Jacob was on his way to see his brother whose birthright and blessing he had taken away.  He thought he was going to be killed so he sent gifts ahead of him for his brother.  As he was on his way, he had a wrestling match with an angel.  As daybreak was coming the angel said he needed to go and Jacob said he wouldn’t let go until he received a blessing.  The angel told him, “you have struggled with God and with men and have prevailed.”

Application:

Jacob struggled with God and with men.  These two struggles are always around us.  Our place is to hold onto God until we prevail in both areas.  Jacob ended up having his name changed to Israel at this point.  Sometimes we have to hold onto the promises of God, even when men don’t understand and men don’t support what we are doing.  I have contended with God and with men, may God always win out in my life.

Prayer:

Father, I love You.  You are incredible and I desire more and more of You each day.  May I always contend for what I know You have put in my heart.  Help me not to give into man and wanting man’s approval, but to always seek the approval of God.  Give me strength to contend with man, when necessary, and prevail.  I will always seek You face and long for You.  May Your favor rest on my life as I go after You.

Your Son,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment