Thursday, October 13, 2011

Man-pleasing

Scripture:

Galatians 1:10 "For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still please men, I would not be a bond servant of Christ".

Observation:

Paul is writing to the Galatians about falling back into a works-based salvation. In doing so, he is cautioning them about people coming and preaching any other gospel than that which he preached to them. As he is presenting his argument, he puts in this phrase, "if I still please men, I would not be a bond servant of Christ". Paul understood that a bond servant of Christ does what Christ wants and is not concerned what men think about it.

Application:

Most of us are more concerned about what people think of us than what Christ thinks of us. If we are going to become who He wants us to be, we must get beyond being controlled by what people think of us. People didn't like Jesus because He wasn't religious enough, but He didn't give in and become a people-pleaser. He was committed to doing what His Father wanted Him to do and only what His Father wanted Him to do. How much of what we do is because we feel it is what people want and how much is because it is what we think God wants? That's a huge question!

Prayer:

Lord, thank You for leading me down this path of hunger and desperation for You. I feel You working and drawing me closer. I know that a big step for me is getting over pleasing people because I love people and want them to like me. What You mean to me is more important than what people think. Strengthen me in this area. I want to please You more each day. Let me live a life that brings You praise and that honors you above every other thing.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment