Thursday, January 9, 2020

The Power of Our Words

Scripture:

“And Esau said to his father, “Have you only one blessing, my father? Bless me—me also, O my father!” And Esau lifted up his voice and wept.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭27:38‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Observation:

Jacob had deceitfully taken the blessing of his father from his brother Esau.  When Esau returned to receive the blessing from his father, Isaac told him he had already blessed his brother and that, even though it was done in deceit, he couldn’t take back what he had spoken.  He seemingly had every right to take back the blessing from Jacob, but he realized he had already spoken it and could do nothing about it.

Application:

I need to watch my words carefully.  Proverbs tells us the power of death and life are in our tongue.  James tells us that out of the same mouth shouldn’t flow blessing and curses.  I want to release God’s blessing through my words into the lives of people.  As the Psalmist said, “May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be holy and pleasing to the Lord”.

Prayer:

Father, let me bless what You bless and curse what You curse.  Teach me to count my words and make them count.  Help me to speak in a way that blesses You and builds Your kingdom.  Help me to control my tongue and let rivers of life flow out of it.

Your Son,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment