Friday, September 9, 2016

Shaming People

Scripture:

II Thessalonians 3:14  "Take special note of anyone who does not obey our instruction in this letter.  Do not associate with them, in order that they may feel ashamed".

Observation:

Paul writes here to the Thessalonians and tells them to do something that we would never even consider in our churches today.  He tells the church to take note of those who don't obey his instructions in the letter and to not associate with them in order that they may feel ashamed.  Here is a biblical text demonstrating something we would never do because we would be seen as unloving, uncaring, or just plain mean because we would hurt people's feelings.

Application:

Verses like this make me think how far off we have gotten as the church of Jesus Christ corporately.  In today's churches we do everything possible not to make anyone feel bad or be ashamed of themselves, Paul tells the church to make people feel ashamed by not associating with them.  This is so opposite of what we would do today, but it is biblical.  We need to do our best to walk in obedience to the word of God, even when the word of God tells us to do something that doesn't feel right to us.

Prayer:

Father God, help me to walk according to Your word and not my feelings about what I think Your word would tell us to do.  Help me to listen to the voice of Your Spirit and to follow what He tells me to do.  Give me strength to do what You want me to do in every area.  Let me live a life that is pleasing to You.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment