Friday, April 19, 2013

Wisdom and the Fear of the Lord

Scripture:

Proverbs 9:10-11 "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.  For through wisdom, your days will be many, and years will be added to your life".

Observation:

The author is saying here that through wisdom, we will have long and better lives.  He also tells us that the fear of the Lord and the knowledge of God is the beginning of that wisdom.  In other words, the better we know and fear God, the longer and better our lives will be.  Therefore we must learn to walk in the fear of the Lord and come to understand Him better.

Application:

Knowledge comes from study.  We must seek to know God more each day.  We must study God through His word and personal relationship with Him.  We also must learn to fear the Lord.  Many today have lost the fear of the Lord.  We must have deep awe and reverence for the Lord and we must realize He is the one who could strike us dead instantly at any time He wants.  Many people play with this fact, but God is a holy God and when you read the Old Testament, you realize that he is someone to be feared.  When we learn to fear Him, wisdom comes and with wisdom comes a long and excellent life.

Prayer:

Lord, You are awesome and Your name is to be praised in every generation.  Teach me your word.  Show me truth each day as I seek you.  Help me to align myself completely with Your will for my life. I want to walk in wisdom and make right decisions that will bring blessing into my life.

Your Son,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment