Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Let Your Words Be Few

Scripture:

Ecclesiastes 5:2 "Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God.  God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few".

Observation:

Solomon is telling us not to be quick to make promises to God and to talk about all we're going to do for Him.  It is better to say nothing than to speak and not fulfill what you said.  He tells us what James tells us later about being slow to speak.  He says we need to not be quick with our mouth or hasty in our heart.  In other words we need to think before we speak.

Application:

Many times we say things that get us into trouble because we spoke too early on the subject.  Often we make promises that we will never be able to keep, whereby we lose our integrity.  We need to slow down and think before we speak, especially to God.  He remembers every word we speak and Jesus said we would be held accountable for every idle word.  When emotions are running high, slow down before you say something you will later regret.  Let your words be few!

Prayer:

Father, help me keep my mouth shut and consider my words better.  Teach me the discipline of listening intently and thinking before speaking.  You are amazing and powerful.  In your presence, help me not to make vows that I cannot keep.  Help me hold my tongue when it wants to take a course of its own.

Your Son,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment