Friday, February 22, 2013

God's Command: Love

Scripture:

II John 6 "Love means doing what God has commanded us, and He has commanded us to love one another, just as you heard from the beginning".

Observation:

John writes this brief letter to the church of Jesus reminding us what is important.  He speaks about those coming through and teaching falsely.  His number one standard to see whether someone is real or not as a believer is love.  If love is really flowing from the person, then they are fulfilling the will of God and obeying His commands.  This person must be true.  If there is no love flowing, the person must not be true.  John very much equates spirituality with love.  It is like his number one measuring stick for whether someone is a fake Christian or not is love.

Application:

Apparently, love reveals how real we are.  Maybe we should examine our own lives and ask the question, "how's your love life?"  If we are not loving others, we are missing the main point of the Gospel.  God is love and those who are fashioned in His image are going to have love pouring out of them.  Loving others should be as natural to us as believers as eating or drinking.  Jesus summed up all the commands by saying love God and love others, then you fulfill all the Law.

Prayer:

Lord, help me love others more and more each day.  I want to be in love with You and then let that love spill over into loving others as You love me.  Let me experience Your love today.  Help me to love everyone who comes onto my path today.  Let Your love flow through me to those around me.  Help me love my family, my coworkers, the kids on my bus, and everyone I come in contact with today that I may show Your love.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment