Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Your Own Heart First

Scripture:

Ezekiel 3:10 "Then He added, 'Son of man, let all my words sink into your own heart first. Listen to them carefully for yourself'".

Observation:

In this passage at the beginning of Ezekiel God is really teaching Ezekiel how to prophesy to the people of Israel. He gives him his calling and assignments, then tells him exactly what to do. I love this passage because I live it in my own life and have never really been able to explain why until I read this. I tell our School of Ministry students that I don't preach a message until it drops from my head to my heart, then it will come out and connect spirit to spirit and in the power of the Holy Spirit.

Application:

A message from the head reaches the head and a message from the heart reaches the heart. This is another quote I use a lot in our school. I love to hear a messenger who has the message in his heart instead of just his head. It increases his personal passion in the message and increases its effectiveness. When preparing a message, "let it sink into your own heart first" is powerful teaching and I'm glad God has re-confirmed this to me again this morning.

Prayer:

Lord, I don't want my words to be lifeless and empty. I want my words to passionate and powerful at doing whatever Your will is to accomplish through them. Let me never preach a message that hasn't moved from the head to the heart. Help me to grow in this more and more. I have always felt it, now I see it in Your words to Ezekiel. Help me to live and personify this scripture.

Sincerely,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment