Friday, January 22, 2010

Pride: One Thing God Hates

Scripture:

Ezekiel 28:17 "Your heart was filled with pride because of all your beauty. Your wisdom was corrupted by your love of splendor. So I threw you to the ground and exposed you to the curious gaze of kings."

Observation:

In this passage we see God speaking to the king of Tyre. From the references to Eden and how he was created, we come to understand that God is speaking about Lucifer or Satan. Satan's downfall was not his beauty, his success, or his power. It was his pride! From the beginning, God has not tolerated pride. Pride caused the fall of Satan and pride causes most falls today. Pride causes us to think we can do it on our own without God's help. Pride causes us to think we don't need anyone or anything. God hates this because it denies our need of Him. One thing God wants from His people is for us to cry out to Him and acknowledge our need of Him.

Application:

"God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble". Pride actually puts us in opposition to God. "Humble yourselves, therefore under the mighty hand of God, and He will raise you up". Serving God causes us to function exactly opposite to the world's system, which is Satan's. God says, humble yourself and express your need for Him instead of taking things into your own hands and telling God you can take care of it. He wants His people to depend on Him! Pride says I don't need God and this is one of the things God hates the most. Let's walk humbly before our God and let Him raise us up.

Prayer:

Lord, I need You today more than ever. You are my strength, my rock and my deliverer. You are my salvation and the life within me. You are worthy of my praise! Forgive me for often taking things into my own hands and not relying on You more. Teach me to trust You and let You work instead of moving out ahead of You. Thank you for speaking to me this morning

Your Son,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment