Friday, May 25, 2018

Run with Purpose

Scripture:

I Corinthians 9:26-27 "So I run with purpose in every step.  I am not just shadowboxing.  I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should.  Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified."

Observation:

Paul says here that he runs this spiritual race with purpose in every step, training his body like an athlete so that he doesn't get disqualified after preaching to others.  He is speaking about running a race with purpose in every step in his life.  He speaks of disciplining his body like and athlete.

Application:

I know I have fallen off of keeping my body healthy lately and it has had devastating results.  The past 9 days I have been fighting excruciating pain with gout, which is caused by things in my diet.  I knew I was falling out of shape physically, but this has caused me to re-evaluate my habits.  With the pain I was in last week, I would not be able to continue preaching without extreme pain.  I have decided to begin a healthier lifestyle so my ministry won't be negatively impacted by poor health conditions.

Prayer:

Lord, help me to eat right, drink right, and exercise right so that I am healthy enough to preach Your Gospel for many, many more years.  My life is yours and I don't want my poor choices to impact what I can or cannot do for you.  Help me to live a more disciplined life physically.  I want to have full strength to give to Your kingdom, but I need your help, willpower, and strength to do it.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment