Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Is the Young Man Absalom Safe?

Scripture:

II Samuel 18:29  "The king asked, 'Is the young man Absalom safe?'"

Observation:

Absalom was in the process of trying to overthrow his father and take his kingdom away from him.  David basically walked away and let his son have the kingdom, yet his son pursued him to kill him and his troops.  When David realized there was no way around some battles, he told his guys to make sure not to harm Absalom.  Absalom was killed and when the two messengers came to give the new, the first words out of David's mouth was, "Is the young man Absalom safe?"

Application:

A father's love is truly incredible.  While his son was trying to overthrow David's kingdom, David was trying to make sure Absalom was okay.  His total focus was on whether Absalom was safe or not.  Though this was not a good battle strategy and leadership move, David was concerned about his son.  May the parents of today have this deep concern for their children.  May some dads rise up and love their children above their own positions of influence.

Prayer:

Lord, let me be a great father to my sons.  Help me not to be an enabler, but to guide them and show them a better way.  Show me proper balance of love and discipline.  Walk with me Holy Spirit and instruct me in the way I raise my sons.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment