Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Where is Your Trust?

Scripture:

Jeremiah 17:5 "This is what the Lord says: 'Cursed are those who put their trust in mere humans, who rely on human strength and turn their hearts from the Lord'".

Observation:

Jeremiah says that people who trust in themselves or others are cursed.  He says that when we rely on ourselves, we have turned our hearts from the Lord.  God wants us to trust Him and look to Him for our wisdom, direction, fulfillment, decisions, etc.  He wants us to look to Him with every detail of our lives instead of trying to work everything out on our own.

Application:

Most of what is done in our churches today is born out of human strength and human wisdom.  We know how to increase attendance, raise funds, and do the work of the ministry.  We have studied our demographics and figured out how to reach people best and how to hold onto them.  We have turned our hearts from the Lord and are doing much of the work ourselves instead of looking to Him.  We must turn our heart back to Him.  It is His church and He will guide us into victory and not we ourselves.

Prayer:

Lord, I want to depend more and more on You.  Teach me not to operate only on what I think is the next good move for our church, but help me hear what the Spirit is saying to the church.  Help me lead from Your voice instead of my head.  I thank You for human wisdom, but Your wisdom far supersedes human wisdom. I want to do things Your way and not my way or a way I learned at the last convention.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment