Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A Real Father's Last Words

Scripture:

II Kings 2:2-3  "'I am about to go the way of all the earth,' he said.  'So be strong, act like a man, and observe what the Lord your God requires: Walk in obedience to Him, and keep his decrees and commands, his laws, and regulations, as they are written in the Law of Moses.  Do this so that you may prosper in all you do and wherever you go'".

Observation:

David is nearing the end of his life and he speaks to his son Solomon who would become king in his place.  He knows he is going to die soon, so he gives him the strongest advice he can give him.  He tells his son to follow God's ways, laws regulations, etc so that he can prosper in every thing and everywhere.  David understood the link between obedience to God and the blessing of God.  He wanted the best for his son and knew how to get it.

Application:

As a father, I want to hand off a spiritual heritage like David did.  I want my sons to see the blessing of God on my life and I want to help them walk in the same way.  David knew if Solomon worked on his relationship with God, everything in his kingdom would be fine.  I want my sons to succeed and I realize that obedience to God is the most important thing in their lives.  Colleges, career paths, etc. are in the hands of God.  Help me guide my sons well.

Prayer:

Lord, I want to leave a spiritual legacy to my sons.  I want to help connect them well with You that You may guide them throughout their lives when I am no longer around.  Show me Father, that I might show them.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment