Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Power of Fasting

Scripture:

Esther 4:16 "Go and gather together all the Jews of Susa and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. My maids and I will do the same".

Observation:

Esther was about to come boldly to the king and ask him to spare the Jews. It was against the law for her to approach him without being invited, but she knew if the Jews were going to be saved, she must speak with him. Knowing this was extremely dangerous, she asked everyone to fast and pray. On the third day, she went for it, risking her very life, and God gave her favor with the king.

Application:

Prayer and fasting is powerful in the life of a believer. There is something really special and powerful about prayer with fasting. Prayer is emphasized very much in the church today and there is a movement of fasting that is coming. When we fast, we are telling God that He is more important to us than food or anything else. It is saying that He is more important than even the food that sustains us. When you can't seem to get a breakthrough, couple prayer with fasting and see what the Lord does.

Prayer:

Father, I have been feeling Your Spirit telling me to fast and I have put it off. I begin a fast this morning. Help me to complete it with joy. I need a breakthrough in so many areas right now. Our church, Hearts for the Harvest, and my family all need a major breakthrough right now. I look to You with prayer and fasting. You are my source, my hope and my deliverer.

Love,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment