Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Makings of a Great Family

Scripture:

I Chronicles 26:8 "all of these descendants of Obed-Edom, including their sons and grandsons - sixty - two of them in all - were very capable men, well qualified for their work".

Observation:

Many times in the Scriptures, we find great men of God who didn't raise their children properly and their children were totally ungodly. In this little verse we read about Obed Edom, all of his sons and all of his grandsons were very capable and well qualified.

Application:

It is one thing to raise a kid who turns out good, but when you see 62 sons and grandsons who "all" were capable and qualified, it speaks volumes about their parents. Here you see generational blessing. Obed - Edom did something right and his family was blessed for it. In I Chronicles 13:14 we get a small picture of the Ark of the Covenant being stored at the house of Obed-Edom for three months and it says, "The Lord blessed the household of Obed-Edom and everything he owned". I believe the keys to having a successful family are a heart after God and good training. His sons had seen the Ark of the Covenant and the blessing that came with it. They saw something real. The second part is that Obed-Edom must have provided some training for his family because they were capable and qualified.

Prayer:

Lord, I want my boys to be capable and qualified in every area of life. Help me keep them in and near the real presence of God, yet train them to be skillful in real life. Teach me to be the father You want me to be, that the blessing of God will be upon my sons and their future families.

Love You Lord,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment