Wednesday, May 9, 2018

God is our King

Scripture:

I Samuel 12:19 "Pray to the Lord your God for us, or we will die! they all said to Samuel.  For now we have added to our sins by asking for a king."

Observation:

The people of Israel wanted to be like other nations and have a king over them.  They wanted to function like everyone else instead of being a Theocracy, they wanted to be a Monarchy.  God gave them what they wanted, but considered it sin to seek another king besides himself.  By this point, they tell Samuel to pray YOUR God for us or we will die.  They began to finally understand that they had rejected to the Lord reigning over them.

Application:

When we lean on the arm of the flesh and want to be like everyone else, we are actually missing out on God's best for our lives.  There is nothing wrong with having a king, but if it is not what God wants for you, then it is wrong.  There is nothing wrong with being like others, but as God's children, His will trumps everything else and we are to do His will.  We cannot rely on our own intellects and imaginations to determine what He wants.  Our job is to follow Him completely.

Prayer:

Lord, help me not to compare myself with others.  Help me to be content with what You have given me and to pursue You more.  Teach me to hear Your voice and follow exactly what You want and not what seems like the best thing to do.  Show me the way forward.  Bless the congregation I lead and let them see the incredible blessing of following You.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment