Friday, February 14, 2014

The James and John Syndrome

Scripture:

Mark 10:35  "Then James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to him. 'Teacher', they said, 'we want you to do for us whatever we ask'".

Observation:

James and John came to Jesus with a statement that blows me away.  "We want you to do for us whatever we ask".  The way this is recorded in Scripture makes it sound like Jesus was a genie in a bottle who was suppose to give them whatever they wished for.  No matter what they asked for next, if I was Jesus, there is no way I would give it to them because the entire request sounds selfish.  Wrong motives never produce right results.

Application:

Many people today have the same statement for Jesus.  They come to Him totally for what they can get out of Him instead of just being willing to serve Him.  Today's generation says, "we want you to do for us whatever we ask, and if we don't, we won't serve You".  We need to be a people who are committed to Christ and the extension of His kingdom without asking Him to constantly be giving us what we desire.  We can't serve Jesus only as long as He gives us everything we want.  That's not love!

Prayer:

Lord, teach me not to be like James and John.  Help me stay focused on Your kingdom and not on my own.  Yes, I have needs and would like them met, but I want to be about fulfilling Your will above my own.  I want to turn their words around and say, "I want to do whatever YOU ask".

Your Son,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment