Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pride is a Killer

Scripture:

Mark 6:26  "The king was greatly distressed, but because of his oaths and his dinner guests, he did not refuse her".

Observation:

John the Baptist was killed because the King had too much pride to change his mind in front of people.  He had made an oath in front of his dinner guests, then, even though he knew it was wrong and was very distressed about it, he had John the Baptist be headed.  Pride is a killer.  This king didn't want to look bad in front of others or to look like he wasn't a man of his word, therefore he went against his own convictions and had a man murdered.

Application:

How often are our decisions made out of pride or to save face?  How many times do we think about what others think of us rather than doing what we know is the right thing?  Pride is a killer and we need to walk in enough humility to say, "I was wrong".  I know when I make a decision, I struggle with implementing certain things because I know it will make a certain person feel bad.  Even when I know it is the right thing, I don't do it sometimes because I value the relationship over doing the right thing.  Right things must be done.

Prayer:

Lord, Help me to do the right things.  Help me say the hard things and do the hard things.  Teach me to choose what I know is right over what I know will make people happy.  Give me strength to say what needs said in all situations.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment