Thursday, November 29, 2012

A Father's Heart

Scripture:

II Samuel 18:33 "The king was shaken.  He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.  As he went, he said: 'O my son Absalom!  My son, mt son Absalom!  If only I had died instead of you - O Absalom, my son, my son!'"

Observation:

Absalom, David's son, had been trying to take over the kingdom from his father.  He spent much time winning the hearts of the people by pointing out everything wrong in the kingdom of his father.  David was a great king, but his very own son wanted the kingdom.  Eventually Absalom took the men of Israel on a manhunt to kill David and take the kingdom.  In this manhunt Absalom is killed and David's life is preserved.  David hears the news of his son's death and goes into deep grieving.  He is grieving over the son who was trying to kill him.

Application:

A father's heart would rather die than to see their son die.  David loved a son who was betraying him.  He would not rejoice in his son's death, even though his son had betrayed him.  Only God can put that kind of love in a person.  Though I don't like this story, it does show me the heart of a father who always wants what's best for his children and doesn't want anything bad to happen to them.  If David loved a son who was trying to kill him, how much more does our heavenly father love us?

Prayer:

Lord, let me love how You love.  Teach me to be a lover of people who reflects You in all of my life.  As I said in my prayer walk this morning, make me a soul winner today.  Help me to be sensitive to Your voice.

Yours Forever,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment