Tuesday, August 7, 2012

What am I Withholding?

Scripture:

Genesis 22:12 "Don't lay a hand on the boy!  the angel said, do not hurt him in any way, for now I know that you truly fear God.  You have not withheld from me even your son, your only son."

Observation: 

God had spoken to Abraham and told him to go and offer his "promised son" as a sacrifice to the Lord.  Abraham obeyed to the point of tying his son up and laying him on the altar.  As he was ready to plunge in the knife, the angel of the Lord stopped him.  He was extremely blessed that day because of what he "did not" withhold from the Lord.  When we withhold from God the things He asks for, it shows that we love those things more than Him.

Application:

God wants to know that He is first in our lives.  He wants to know that we are willing to give up everything for Him.  This morning I feel the question is more about what we are withholding from God than what we are giving Him.  We all have certain things that we are just not willing to let go of.  We all have areas of our lives that God wants us to give to Him, yet we withhold them instead of giving them freely. 

Prayer:

Father, help me to freely give whatever You have given me.  I say it all the time, "I will do whatever You want me to Lord", yet I withhold in some areas.  Help me to walk in complete and total surrender before You.  Help me walk in complete obedience at all times.   Abraham was blessed because of what he did not withhold.  Teach me to withhold nothing from You!

Yours Completely,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment