Friday, August 10, 2012

The Power of a Smile

Scripture:

Genesis 33:10  "And what a relief to see your friendly smile.  It is like seeing the face of God!"

Observation:

Jacob had been away for many years after stealing his brother's birthright and blessing.  He had fled for his life because Esau wanted to kill him.  As he was on his way home he was scared to death that Esau would kill him for what he had done years before.  When he finally sees his brother face to face, Esau smiles at him and welcomes him home.  At that point Jacob says, "what a relief to see your friendly smile.  It is like seeing the face of God!"

Application:

Jacob was blown away to see his brother, whom he had deeply offended and done wrong to, smile at him when they came together again for the first time.  He was overwhelmed by his brother's friendly smile and claimed it was like seeing the face of God.  A smile makes huge statements!  A smile toward a person who thinks you don't like them, is a beautiful picture of God.  A smile is easy to do and extremely powerful to those around us.  I think we all need to smile more.   A smile calms raging emotions, brings peace into a troubled situation, and says "Everything is okay between us".  A Smile tells those around us, "God is taking good care of me".

Prayer:

Father, let me smile more so others can see the face of God within my face.  Help me to smile when I feel good and when I feel bad.  Help me change someone's attitude today with a smile.  Let my countenance say, "God has been good to me".

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment