Tuesday, July 12, 2011

What are We Working For?

Scripture:

John 6:27 "Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set his seal on Him".

Observation:

The multitude had followed Jesus because He fed 5,000 men, not including women and children, with five loaves and two fish. He sees right through it and tells them that they were following Him because He put food in their stomachs and not because of who has was. He goes on to talk about what we labor for and what we are after in life. He tells them not to work for food that perishes, but for food that is everlasting.

Application:

Most of what we work for in life is only temporary. We work hard for cars that will die after a few years. We work hard for houses that we can lose with a downturn in the economy. We work for "things" that are not eternal and spend little time working on eternal things. The only "things" that are eternal and going to heaven or hell are people. Jesus is saying that our lives should be about people and about the importance of our own souls. Are we working so hard for the wrong stuff?

Prayer:

Father, help me keep the main thing, the main thing. Help me to work for eternal rewards instead of temporary. Teach me to spend my time wisely for the Kingdom of God. Let me work for You completely. may my life be consumed by the things that You are consumed by. I surrendur to Your will in my life. I want to be about Your business and not my own busyness.

Love,

Jeff

1 comment: