Thursday, July 7, 2011

Be Zealous for the Lord

Scripture:

Numbers 25:11 "Phinehas son of Eleazar and grandson of Aaron the priest has turned my anger away from the Israelites by being as zealous among them as I was. So I stopped destroying all Israel as I had intended to do in my zealous anger".

Observation:

The people of Israel has prostituted themselves with Moabite women and the gods that they served. They had turned away from the living God to worship and serve the gods of the Moabites because they had soul ties with the women of Moab. God became very angry and began to destroy the people of Israel. Phinehas, grandson of Aaron the priest, chased a man and woman who were guilty and thrust a spear through both of them. This stopped the plague and God said He stopped it because Phinehas was as zealous as the Lord. God realized that someone hated sin as much as He did.

Application:

Phinehas was zealous for the Lord. He stood for right and fought against sin. God worked on his behalf and saved Israel because one man had the heart of God. Zealousness can sometimes get you into trouble if it is done in a wrong way, but God does love to see his people zealous for Him. He is looking for a people who are zealous enough to hate sin and love righteousness. His heart is after those who have His heart which hates sin and loves righteousness. We need to get a little more zealous concerning the things of the Lord and maybe God would spare our generation.

Prayer:

Lord God Almighty, You are awesome in power! You are incredible in all Your doings! You hate sin and love righteousness! Help me to be more like You. There is a song we used to sing in church that I heard again this week and have been singing that says, "I wanna be more like You, Jesus, I wanna be more like You. I wanna be a vessel You work through. I want to be more like You". That is my prayer today Lord. Make me more like You.

Sincerely,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment