Monday, February 28, 2011

Do You Seek Great Things for Yourself?

Scripture:

Jeremiah 45:5 "And do you seek great things for yourself? Do not seek them; for behold, I will bring adversity on all flesh, says the Lord. But I will give your life to you as a prize in all places, wherever you go".

Observation:

The prophet Jeremiah is speaking to Baruch and tells him not to seek great things for himself. He is basically told that being alive is the greatest thing he will be able to get because God was going to bring adversity on all flesh. The prophet starts by asking a question, "Do you seek great things for yourself?" Then he replies from the Lord, "Do not seek them".

Application:

We must learn to be content in all things. Always seeking greater things is a great recipe for discontentment. We should be thankful for our very lives. If we have them, we are doing good. We must be seekers of God and not seekers of things! He wants to be the center of our lives and we must trust Him to take care of us and provide what we need. Jesus told us not to store up treasures on earth which is temporary, but to store up treasures in heaven that are permanent.

Prayer:

Lord, teach me to store up treasures in heaven and to be content with where you have me on the earth. I want to be a seeker of God and not a seeker of things. I want to build Your kingdom. Help me to keep my eyes on You and to be content in all things on the earth. Heaven is my permanent home. Help me to prepare well for it.

Your Son,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment