Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Young Bride

Scripture:

Jeremiah 2:2 "Go and shout this message to Jerusalem. This is what the Lord says: I remember how eager you were to please me as a young bride long ago, how you loved me and followed me even through the barren wilderness".

Observation:

Jeremiah is rebuking Israel and Judah for leaving the Lord and running after other gods. He is prophesying about Israel being exiled because they had left their first love and pursued worthless idols. In that speech, the Lord says, "I remember how eager you were to please me as a young bride long ago, how you loved me and followed me even through the wilderness". God is saying that He hasn't forgotten how Israel loved Him and how much it meant to Him. He knows when we are really in love with Him and when we are just going through the motions. He longs to be your god and for you to be His own special possession.

Application:

Are you loving the Lord like a young bride loves her husband? Are you trying as hard to please Him today as you were years ago? Have you settled into the marriage and fallen out of love? God wants us to love Him passionately. He wants us to obey Him fully out of our incredible love for Him. He has remained faithful to His end of the wedding vows, have we remained faithful to our end? He says that in the beginning Israel followed Him, even through the wilderness. Are we still ready to follow the Lord through the wilderness or do we abandon Him when things don't feel good any more?

Prayer:

Lord, bring us back to our first love. Bring us back to that place of wanting to serve You wholeheartedly. You have done all You can do on You end, let us arise and fall in love with You again. Let my heart be enraptured with You. Bring me back to the place of passionate pursuit and total abandonment and commitment to Your will and purposes. I love You lord.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment