Saturday, December 19, 2009

Devouring God's Word

Scripture:

Jeremiah 15:16 "When I discovered your words, I devoured them. They are my joy and my heart's delight, for I bear Your name".

Observation:

Jeremiah has been prophesying the coming destruction of the people of Israel because they have been unfaithful to God. They have continued through the years to live how they wanted and serve other gods and now the One True God is going to punish them for their sins. In the midst of this message, Jeremiah speaks up for himself and talks to the Lord. As he begins, we get some insight into his relationship with God. He says, "when I discovered Your words, I devoured them. They are my joy and my delight". Apparently, Jeremiah loved the word of God. He devoured it and it was his joy.

Application:

We need to fall in love with the Word of God again. Doing this daily wash has caused me to fall in love with the Word of God again. I can see it working my life and I love His word more than ever. As Jeremiah, we today are a generation that is far from God. People say they love God, but have no fruit of the Spirit in their lives. They say they are serving God, but their life doesn't show it in any way. We have become like the people Jeremiah is prophesying to. We need to see that even in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, you can serve God by falling in love with His words and devouring them. Jeremiah was promised that he would avoid the destruction coming because of His love for the Lord and true service to Him.

Prayer:

Lord, let me fall more and more in love with Your word. Let me live by it, walk in it, listen to it, and apply it in my life. I want to be more like You. I want to be where Jesus was talking about when He said, "If you abide in me and my words abide in you, you shall ask what you will, and it will be done for you". Teach me to abide in Your word and to have your word abide in me. You are my rock and my salvation, in Your I trust!

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment