Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Clever at Doing Wrong / No Idea how to do Right

Scripture:

Jeremiah 4:22 "My people are foolish and do not know me, says the Lord. They are stupid children who have no understanding. They are clever at doing wrong, but they have no idea how to do right!"

Observation:

Israel had been rejecting the one true God and following other gods for quite some time. God was in heaven wanting to be their god and for them to be His people. He wanted to bless His children, but needs them to walk in obedience in order to do so. He is prophesying through Jeremiah that another country will come and kick them out of the land He gave them. In the midst of his prophecy against them he throws in these words, "They are clever enough at doing wrong, but they have no idea how to do right!" These words jumped out at me today because I see the exact same thing is so prevalent today.

Application:

We are so much like the children of Israel. We love God when we are in trouble and need to get out, but struggle to serve Him when things are okay. People today are truly clever at doing wrong. People have become experts at scheming, lying, and doing whatever it takes to get ahead, but don't have a clue how to live right. We need the voice of a Jeremiah to speak up in this generation. I see so many who are experts at doing wrong, but can't seem to live right for their life. This must change! We need to learn the discipline of doing right, no matter how it affects the outcome. We must have integrity and character even if it hurts us. We must become experts on how to "live right".

Prayer:

Lord, I see our generation in line with where Jeremiah's generation was. We have become clever at dong wrong, but most today don't know how to do right. Teach me how to make a real difference in people's lives so they want to live right. Help me communicate Your truth clearly and teach people how to live right lives before God. I need Your anointing as never before because people don't want to be told they are living wrong before God. They want to do whatever they want and want You to bless it. Help me Lord I pray.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment