Monday, December 5, 2011

Devote Yourselves to Prayer

Scripture:

Colossians 4:2 "Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart".

Observation:

Paul is speaking to the Colossians and as he is beginning to close his letter to them, he throws in this simple phrase. He tells them that they must be devoted to prayer as their first priority and to do it with an alert mind and a thankful heart. He says that as we pray we should keep an alert mind. We must meditate on God and His word as well as walk in thanksgiving continually.

Application:

To be devoted to something means that you are going to do it whether you feel like it or not. When we speak of a devoted athlete, they train in good weather and bad, when they feel good and when they don't. We must have the same devotion in our prayer lives, keeping our mind alert and giving thanks. I think Paul throws in keeping the mind alert because sometimes in prayer, our mind tends to drift. We must pray a keep alert so our mind doesn't wander.

Prayer:

Lord, Paul closed this simple phrase with "a thankful heart". Help me to have a thankful heart for all you have done in my life. Thank You for Your many blessings. Thank You for sustaining me all these years and keeping me. You are awesome! May Your Kingdom come and Your will be done in my life. Help me keep my mind alert as I pray and read Your word.

Sincerely,

Jeff Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment