Saturday, January 27, 2018

Teach to Obey

Scripture:

Matthew 28:20 "Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you.  And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age"

Observation:

This passage is one of the most well-known passages in all the Bible because it is some of the last words of Jesus before His ascension.  All of my life, I have heard "Go into all the world and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit".  This commission, I memorized years ago, but never heard it through other eyes.  Here, Jesus says, teach them to OBEY all my commands.

Application:

In churches, we do a lot of teaching.  We have some of the most knowledgeable believers the world has ever seen.  We have churches full of people who have had tons of teaching, but are doing nothing with it.  Jesus emphasized teaching to OBEY.  I need to help people learn to OBEY instead of just LEARN.  Growth comes when we begin DOING the will of God, not just knowing it.

Prayer:

Father, help me to obey the words of Jesus.  Empower me to teach people to OBEY.  Help me to communicate Your truth effectively and to emphasize obedience over knowledge. 

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment