Friday, April 29, 2011

A Name for Ourselves

Scripture:

Genesis 11:4 "And they said, 'Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower whose top is in the heavens; let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth'"

Observation:

This verse is found in the story of the tower of Babel. The people had determined to build a city for themselves and a tower that would reach into the heavens. There is nothing inherently wrong with building a tower that is tall. The problem is found in the next part of the verse, "let us make a name for ourselves". God has always despised pride and self-reliance. He desires to be the our source and sustenance. When His people begin to look toward self-sufficiency, He responds. Here, He confuses the languages so that they could not communicate in order to build the tower.

Application:

It was pride that caused God to confuse the languages of the earth. Satan was created extremely beautiful and pride was found in him so he was kicked out of heaven. God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble. We must acknowledge who He is and walk in humility, depending on Him for everything instead of leaning on our own understanding. We must learn to let God be our guide and not ourselves.

Prayer:

Father, help me to lean on You instead of my own understanding. You are my source! You are my life! You created me and know what's best for me. You are my God and I put my trust in You. Help me stay away from making a name for myself and to always lift up Your name.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment