Monday, May 21, 2018

Honor Your Enemies

Scripture:

II Samuel 19:27-28 "Ziba has slandered me by saying that I refused to come.  But I know that my lord the king is like an angel of God, so do what you think is best.  All my relatives and I could expect only death from you, my lord, but instead you have honored me by allowing me to eat at your own table!  What more can I ask?"

Observation:

David had taken care of Mephibosheth, Saul's grandson.  Normally the descendants of the old king would be killed to ensure that nobody could take the throne back.  David trusted God and honored his relationship with Jonathon by honoring Mephibosheth and letting him eat at the king's table for life.  He gave him property, wealth and honor, when most kings would have killed him.

Application:

Jesus said to bless our enemies and pray for those who despitefully use us.  We are called to live a different kind of life than the world.  We are called, like David, to honor our enemies and to see value in them.  We must trust our Lord to deal with those who hate and despise us, our job is to love, honor and bless them.

Prayer:

Lord, let me walk in the humility of David and fulfill the command of Jesus.  Help me to love those who hate me and bless those who persecute me.  Enable me to walk in a trust relationship with You that trust You to fight my battles while I love people.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment